Understanding and Teaching AusVELS Geography for Victorian Primary Schools
Most primary teachers are not geography scholars, and many will lack confidence in teaching the subject due to their uncertainty about what it entails. Understanding and Teaching AusVELS Geography for Victorian Primary Schools is designed to ease the burden of Victorian primary teachers by showing them how to understand and use the curriculum they are being asked to teach.
Features of Understanding and Teaching AusVELS Geography include:
- analysis of every content descriptions in AusVELS Geography curriculum for Years F–6, as well as most of the accompanying elaborations;
- guidance on how content prescribed at each year level can be organised and amalgamated, saving teacher time and energy while ensuring integrated instruction of AusVELS-identified concepts for developing geographical understanding;
- links with related content descriptions from other AusVELS learning areas, including science, maths and history;
- citations of useful learning resources and information for both teachers and their students
- charts outlining the relationship between AusVELS Geography curriculum content descriptions and the Achievement Standards for each year; and
- idea on how to extend the curriculum and exploit its potential for stimulating the learning and development of students.
By unpacking the AusVELS Geography curriculum in terms that non-geographers can easily understand, this book takes the work out of standards-aligned geography instruction, proving that geography is an interesting and important subject which imparts essential understanding and skills and contributes to the personal and social development of young children.
|Publish date||2014-08-19 00:00:00|
|Partner Name||Alaric Maude|
|Key Learning Area||Cross-Curricular, Geography|