The Write Voice
Using Rich Prompts to Help Student Writing Come Alive
The Write Voice is a comprehensive approach to teaching writing that deals not only with style, but also with strategies for finding inspiration and handy tools that young writers can use to write well. This remarkable resource explores how teachers can use rich engaging writing prompts to help students develop their writing voice and make even the most meaningful writer begin to write with pizazz and flare.
The Write Voice is organised around seven strategies, with appropriate prompts, that encourage students to recognise and seek inspiration.
- Emotional Cues: using emotional connections to build mood
- Sensory Statements: using the five senses to help readers create a mental image
- Wordsmithing: building vocabulary and promoting risk-taking with creative word use
- Perspective: understanding that the person telling the story is as important as the story itself
- Character Development: setting the stage for action by creating interesting characters with voices of their own
- Personality: allowing the author’s passion and creativity to shine through
- Style: understanding how writing conventions, literary devices and presentation techniques can be used to strengthen voice
The book argues for routines that involve students in finding the voice in the writing of other and recognising the power of the written word. It illustrates countless effective ways students can experiment with their own voice, engage in robust conversations about their writing and that of their peers, and set personal goals as writers. It also addresses the importance of mentoring, setting success criteria and establishing consistent peer and teacher feedback.
|Publish date||2017-04-10 00:00:00|
|Partner Name||Pembroke Publishers|
|Key Learning Area||Cross-Curricular, English|