Learning by Doing
A Handbook for Professional Learning Communities at Work, Revised Third Edition
Rewritten for an Australian context, this revised version of Learning by Doing: A Handbook for Professional Learning Communities at Work®, Third Edition is the best-selling guide for action that helps educators close the knowing–doing gap as they transform their schools into professional learning communities (PLCs). Gavin Grift and Colin Sloper, the leaders of Solution Tree Australia and authorities in the PLC process, worked closely with the original authors in creating Australia’s first school recognised as an exemplar PLC at Work in 2010, and have now contributed their expert knowledge of that endeavour, and more, to this resource.
This third edition responds to the authors’ enduring work with teachers, principals and central office staff to address and expand on the PLC implementation process, with scenarios, context and language unique to the Australian educational landscape. The revised third edition offers the following additions and revisions.
- Two new chapters that address common formative assessments and the keys to hiring, orienting and retaining staff members.
- A stronger focus on effectively implementing a region-wide PLC.
- New insight into clarifying the essential standards necessary for a guaranteed and viable curriculum.
- Helpful suggestions for incorporating deeper knowledge into curricula and assessments.
- A more thorough examination of systematic interventions.
- Explicit tools and templates from real high-performing PLCs.
- An updated research base, including more than one hundred new references.
- An emphasis on vital steps to take immediately in the implementation process.
As well as these new additions, Gavin and Colin bring to the book countless stories, experiences and learnings to assist readers in transforming their school or district into a successful PLC. Through their work with thousands of schools in both Australia and New Zealand, the advice and guidance that they both have to offer is not only useful in theory, but has been proven in practice.
Packed with real-world solutions and strategies, this revised third edition of Learning by Doing for the Australian context will become a treasured resource for individual educators and teacher teams at every level of your PLC.
|Publish date||2017-09-06 00:00:00|
|Partner Name||Solution Tree Inc|
|Key Learning Area||Cross-Curricular|