Reading and Writing Strategies for the Secondary Social Studies Classroom in a PLC at Work®
Every Teacher is a Literacy Teacher Series
With Reading and writing strategies for the secondary social studies classroom in a PLC at Work, grades 6–12 teachers will equip their students with the literary support they need to think, read and write like social studies experts. Part of the Every teacher is a literacy teacher series, this book emphasises the importance that the Professional Learning Community (PLC) at Work process has in supporting learners who struggle with literacy and in enriching learning for those who demonstrate proficiency. Series editors Mark Onuscheck and Jeanne Spiller and authors Daniel M Argentar, Katherine A N Gillies, Maureen M Rubenstein and Brain R Wise provide practical literacy-based strategies specifically designed for social studies instruction. By restoring a focus on literacy as the centrepiece of the secondary social studies classroom, teachers will prepare all students for their future beyond school.
- learn how interdisciplinary collaboration enhances literacy instructions in secondary social studies education
- discover how to work in collaborative teams to best support students’ literacy needs
- foster student engagement by utilising adaptable strategies and literacy resources for developing prereading, during-reading and postreading skills
- enhance students’ writing abilities with strategies designed to teach learners how to think like social studies experts and support their high-level thinking with evidence
- obtain tools and techniques for designing meaningful assessments that gauge students’ literacy proficiency and improve learning outcomes.
|Publish date||2021-07-08 00:00:00|
|Partner Name||Solution Tree Inc|
|Key Learning Area||Professional development|