Engaging Literate Minds
Developing Children’s Social, Emotional, and Intellectual Lives, K–3
Interestingly, educators are recognising that for children to thrive intellectually they need socially and emotionally healthy classrooms. Conveniently, this is exactly what parents have always wanted for their children – classrooms that offer and grow positive relationships and behaviour, emotional self-regulation and a sense of wellbeing. Using the guiding principles from Peter Johnston’s bestselling professional resources, Choice Words and Opening Minds, Peter and six colleagues began a journey to create just such classrooms – environments in which children meaningfully engage with each other through reading, writing, making and discussing books.
In Engaging Literate Minds, you’ll discover how these teachers struggled and succeeded in building such classrooms. Inside you’ll find:
- practical ways to develop a caring learning community and children’s socio-emotional competence
- powerful teaching practices from real classrooms
- engaging ways to encourage inquiry and student agency
- suggestions on how to use formative assessment in everyday teaching practices
- helpful research behind the classroom practices and children’s development
- ways to help students inspire and support each other.
Building a just, caring, literate society has never been more important than it is today. By embracing the ideas and teaching strategies in Engaging Literate Minds, you can help children become socially, emotionally and intellectually healthy. Not only do these classroom practices develop the skills to achieve district benchmarks and beyond, they help develop children’s humanity.
|Publish date||2020-06-15 00:00:00|
|Partner Name||Stenhouse Publishers|
|Key Learning Area||English|