Identify developmental needs, determine school readiness and guide instructional planning with the BRIGANCE® Early Childhood Screens III. These quick and easy-to-use screens allow teachers to easily identify potential learning delays and giftedness in language, motor, self-help, social-emotional and cognitive skills – all in 10 to 15 minutes per child.
The updated Early Childhood Screens III offer:
- New norms and cut-offs, ensuring highly accurate results
- Quick results (just 10–15 minutes per child)
- Strong reliability and validity data
- Updated content including new self-help and social-emotional scales
Screens are available for:
Foundation & Year 1
New research studies reflect:
- A high degree of accuracy – high sensitivity and specificity
- Strong test-retest and inter-rater reliability
- Substantial content, construct and concurrent validity
Features of Screens III:
- Normed and standardised on a U.S. nationally representative sample
- Highly sensitive and accurate
- Cut-off scores help determine which children may need a referral for special services
- Easy to score, either by hand or with the BRIGANCE Online Management System
- Results help identify developmentally appropriate assessment and instruction
- Observation forms help teachers record and organise important observations
- Parent rating forms help parents provide input on their child's skills
After assessment with Screens III:
The BRIGANCE Early Childhood Screens III is a collection of quick, highly accurate assessments and data-gathering tools to use with children. The first years of a child’s life are a time of rapid growth and learning and screening can provide an important understanding of the child’s development at a particular point in time. Zero to Three: The U.S. National Center for Infants, Toddlers and Families, and the U.S. National Association for the Education of Young Children (NAEYC), emphasise the importance of screening as the first step in assessing emergent school readiness, providing a snapshot of a child’s mastery of early developmental and academic skills.
Screening also enables educators to readily identify children who may be developmentally delayed and children who may be developmentally advanced and, therefore, can support early intervention as needed.
The Screen III includes the following age-specific screens (each of which can be conducted quickly, usually within 10–15 minutes):
- Screens 0–35 Months
- Screens 3–5 Years
- Screens Foundation & Year 1
- Core Assessments – Infant (birth–11 months)
- Core Assessments – Toddler (12–23 months)
- Core Assessments – Two-Year-Old Child
The Core Assessments in the Screen III have been nationally standardised, producing scores that are highly reliable, valid and accurate. Assessment items in the age-specific screens are norm-referenced as well as criterion-referenced and cover a broad sampling of a child’s skills and behaviours.
Key developmental areas include:
- Physical development (gross motor skills and fine motor skills)
- Language development (receptive language skills and expressive language skills)
- Adaptive behaviour (self-help skills and social-emotional development)
- Academic skills/cognitive development
SCREENS III technical manual
The BRIGANCE Screens III offer developmental screening of children from infancy to year one. The Screens III support the efforts of early childhood educators and others working with children to identify potential developmental delays, as well as giftedness and inform instruction and monitor child progress.
The BRIGANCE Screens III Technical Manual is an extensive and valuable resource for any educator, parent or professional using the BRIGANCE Screens III. It is a comprehensive manual detailing the science behind the updated Screens III and the extensive U.S. national study that has made them more accurate and useful than ever. The Technical Manual also includes specific information on how to administer the Screens III with subjects, interpret the results and monitor progress. Additionally, it offers a complete technical breakdown of the standardisation process and information on the reliability, accuracy and validity of the Screens III as detailed early childhood screening instruments.
It also includes sample data sheets, information forms and sheets for parents, and details on comparing the Screens to other screening tests. The BRIGANCE Screens III Technical Manual is the complete guide to the detailed science behind the BRIGANCE Screens III and the process of administering them.