Dr Birdley Teaches Science
The Dr Birdley Teaches Science series presents a fun and exciting new way to teach science to your Years 9–12 students. Each book features comics that explain critical concepts in science using easy-to-understand terminology, engaging illustrations and memorable characters. It is focused on standards-based learning objectives – correlating to the Australian F–10 Curriculum: Science and Senior Secondary Curriculum: Biology, Chemistry, Earth and Environmental Science, and Physics – and makes science accessible to all learners.
Following the outline provided, teachers help students:
- warm up by assessing prior knowledge and developing vocabulary with vocabulary build-up exercises
- about a new concept with the source cartoon. It explains critical concepts in science using words, images and characters
- apply the new concepts in independent practice with
- hands-on activities
- study questions that prompt students to explain the concepts in words
- puzzles and practice problems that link visual and verbal information
- background articles that expand on the cartoon’s central points
- graphic organisers that help students sort and synthesise main ideas.
- assess new learning with quizzes and tests that check for understanding of key ideas.