Elevate Your Writing Instruction Beyond the Skills to Ignite the Will
Cultivating writers shows teachers how to take writing instruction beyond the skills to ignite the will to write among Years 3–8 students.
Based on extensive classroom experience, this book shares strategies that help students tap into their own life experiences, model the habits of a writer and make use of the tools of the trade. This highly readable book explores ways to declutter writing instruction and focuses on developing writers who are motivated, engaged and invested in developing their own writing lives. It offers six essential steps teachers can take to nurture the will to write:
- Develop your writing life – cultivating your own writing identity as a teacher to become an active and contributing member of your classroom writing community.
- Tap into your students’ lives – using simple techniques to help students recognise their own lives as inspiration.
- Model the habits of a writer – discovering and developing the habits of passionate, dedicated writers through the actions of find, plan, act and set goals.
- Make the ‘why’ of writing visible – helping students identify the value of writing and use writing to help them grow as authors and learners.
- Provide what students need to write – offering the resources students need to feed their preferences and creating environments where writers thrive and flourish.
- Nourish the will to write – exploring strategies that nurture and support students’ ongoing development as authors throughout the year.
This comprehensive book offers everything teachers need to build an environment that helps students see writing as a rewarding experience in and outside the classroom. Powerful real-life anecdotes and ready-to-use activities support this guide to developing classrooms full of thoughtful, passionate writers.
Cultivating writers challenges teachers to nurture complete writers who have the will to write as they foster authentic writing engagement in a vibrant writing community.
|Publish date||2021-05-04 00:00:00|
|Partner Name||Pembroke Publishers|
|Key Learning Area||Professional development, Cross-Curricular, English|