Introducing Teachers and Administrators to the NGSS
A Professional Development Facilitator’s Guide
If you’re charged with helping educator achieve the vision of the new science standards, this is the professional development resource you need. This book is chock-full of activities and useful advice for guiding teachers and administrators as they put standards into practice in the classroom.
Written by three experts in professional development for science teachers, Introducing Teachers and Administrators to the NGSS
- introduces the vocabulary, structure and conceptual shifts of the NGSS
- explores the three dimensions of the Framework – science and engineering practices, crosscutting concepts and disciplinary core ideas – and how they are integrated in the NGSS
- provides classroom case studies of instructional approaches for students challenged by traditional science teaching
- covers curricular decisions involving course mapping designing essential questions and performance assessments, and using the NGSS to plan units of instruction
- examines the connections between the NGSS and the Common Core State Standards
- offers advice for getting past common professional development sticking points and finding further resources.
Given the widespread changes in today’s education landscape, teachers and administrators may feel overwhelmed by the prospect of putting new standards into practice. If you are a science specialist, curriculum coordinator or instructional coach who provides professional development, you will find this collection immensely helpful for heading off “initiative fatigue”, whether in an individual school or throughout a region.
|Publish date||2016-06-02 00:00:00|
|Partner Name||National Science Teachers Association (NSTA)|
|Key Learning Area||Science|