Essentials for Achieving Rigour Series
Identifying Critical Content
Academic standards call for increased rigour, but simply raising complexity is not enough. Students must also take responsibility for their own learning. They need to be able to determine which content is critical, why it is important, how it connects to their existing knowledge and when it will inform their future learning.
Identifying Critical Content: Classroom Techniques to Help Students Know What is Important explores explicit techniques for mastering a crucial strategy of instructional practice: teaching students the skill of identifying critical content. It includes:
- explicit steps for implementation
- recommendations for monitoring if students are able to identify critical content
- adaptations for students who struggle, have special needs or excel in learning
- examples and non-examples from classroom practice
- common mistakes and ways to avoid them.
The Essentials for Achieving Rigour series of instructional guides helps educators become highly skilled at implementing, monitoring and adapting instruction. Put it to practical use immediately, adopting day-to-day examples as models for application in your classroom.
|Publish date||2015-07-16 00:00:00|
|Partner Name||Learning Sciences International|
|Key Learning Area||Cross-Curricular|