Family Maths Night
Strengthening Maths Ability through Family Interaction
Why should your school have a Family Maths Night?
- Help students learn essential maths concepts
- Give parents a chance to serve as models of motivation, persistence and competence
- Promote maths success in a supportive setting
With its step-by-step directions and suggestions for both teachers and parents, this book takes the worry out of planning and conducting a Family Maths Night at your school.
How does Family Maths Night work?
- Invite parents to accompany their children to school for an evening event.
- Arrange a series of tables (\"stations\") in a large room or in several classrooms.
- As shown in this book, prepare materials -- easy-to-find and inexpensive -- and set up an activity at each station.
- Parents and students visit some or all stations and engage in the activities together.
- Teachers encourage participation, offer assistance and promote \"maths talk.\"
This book contains 40 engaging and inspiring activities, along with: Lists of materials; helpful hints and connections to maths concepts for
the teacher, and a description of activity and directions; questions parents can ask; and challenges for the parent and student. Directions for each activity can be found in the downloadable resources as reproducible PDFs for ease of use.
Parents play an important role in the academic lives of students. By participating in Family Maths Night, parents can serve as models of motivation, persistence and competency to their children.
|Publish date||2012-01-16 00:00:00|
|Partner Name||Taylor & Francis Group, LLC (formerly Eye On Education)|