Balanced Literacy Essentials
Weaving Theory into Practice for Successful Instruction in Reading, Writing, and Talk
Balanced Literacy Essentials shows teachers how to navigate their way through the language and literacy block as they focus on ten literacy essentials. It offers a comprehensive approach to literacy instruction that puts students at the centre of the learning process.
Anchored in sound theory, this practical book promotes a literacy program that balances the components of English with the power of meaningful interaction with students. From modelling literate behaviours to playing with language as “earprint”, this timely resource if full of useful strategies for nurturing reading, writing and talk in today’s classrooms.
Ideal for new and experienced teachers, the book provides
- an overview of the nuts and bolts of reading instruction – shared reading, guided reading and independent reading
- techniques for supporting writers – teacher modelling, interactive and shared writing, and independent writing activities
- suggestions for meeting the needs of diverse learners in an increasingly complex world of texts
- simple ideas for involving families in their children’s literacy development
- poetry, storytelling and drama activities that foster alternative approaches to learning – thinking, feeling and doing – along with ways of knowing, and showing what we know
- language experiences that guide students from traditional oral forms to navigating our complex digital world.
|Publish date||2017-04-10 00:00:00|
|Partner Name||Pembroke Publishers|
|Key Learning Area||Cross-Curricular, English|