Making the Connections That Help Students Meet Standards
What exactly is an "assignment", and why does it matter? How can educators ensure that their teaching meets the rigorous demands of the Common Core State Standards, so that all students are well prepared for university or careers? Assignments Matter: Making the Connections That Help Students Meet Standards draws on extensive, real-world experience to answer these questions and many more, with two aims in mind: to guide teachers and administrators in crafting high-quality assignments and to help educators understand the powerful effect that assignments can have on teaching and learning.
Assignments Matter explains the critical difference among "assignments", "activities" and "assessments" and thoroughly describes the key elements of an assignment: prompts, rubrics, products and instructional plans. Readers will learn how to:
- Follow a seven-step process for crafting effective assignments;
- Link assignments to units and courses;
- Devise "Anchor" assignments for collaboration and consistency across year levels;
- Tap into instructional touchstones that can enrich and assignment;
- Create classroom and school environments that support assignment-making; and
- Use assignments as a source of data about teaching and learning.
Equipped with the knowledge and expertise gained from Assignments Matter, readers will be able to create meaningful learning experiences to improve student achievement.
|Publish date||2012-10-11 00:00:00|