- Advanced Reading Instruction in the Middle Years: A Novel Approach
Advanced Reading Instruction in the Middle Years
A Novel Approach
If you want to raise the level of student engagement in your reading program, Advanced Reading Instruction in the Middle Years is for you. If you want to challenge your advanced students and offer them some new ways of thinking while improving reading comprehension, this book is for you. If you want book recommendations for not-yet-so-mature students who are able to read at an adult level, this book is for you.
Introducing the novel discussion circle as a focus, this book provides a structured process for getting advanced readers in the middle years involved in:
- reading a variety of novel genres,
- analysing the elements of a novel,
- understanding the author’s craft,
- conceptualising and using words and phrases purposefully,
- expanding vocabularies,
- developing and responding to thought-provoking questions,
- learning and using effective discussion skills,
- actively engaging in critical and creative thinking, and
- identifying and reflecting on general themes and universal ideas.
Sections of the book offer the teacher guidance in:
- selecting appropriate novels;
- teaching students to prepare for novel
- vocabulary and concepts,
- questioning and
- engaging students in discussion circles,
- classroom setting,
- the art of discussion,
- reflections and
- assessments; and
- directing learning activities to promote cognitive and affective growth.
The book provides information and instructional materials for multiple novel genres including realistic fiction, historical fiction, science fiction, fantasy, mystery and graphic novels. A section on developmental bibliotherapy suggests the use of novels in support of the unique social and emotional needs of advanced learners. Finally, a section on technology offers ideas for incorporating electronic resources into your Novel Approach to reading.
|Publish date||2016-05-03 00:00:00|
|Partner Name||Prufrock Press Inc.|
|Key Learning Area||English|