Success with Multicultural Newcomers and English Learners
Proven Practices for School Leadership Teams
This book is a road map for teachers and school leaders who need to meet the needs of increasing numbers of Newcomers and other English Learners (ELs). Authors Margarita Espino Calderón and Shawn Slakk draw from years of experience in working with, listening to, and coaching administrators, teachers, and coaches nationwide to help you develop and implement an effective plan for your school. Beginning with the core belief that "getting to know the student is pivotal", the authors show how to address both the academic and the social needs of Newcomers to help them integrate and excel—from their first day of school. The main components of the plan are the following:
- Identifying your students and assessing educational and socioemotional needs.
- Identifying qualified teachers and staff.
- Developing highly effective programs for Newcomers and other ELs.
- Accelerating English learners’ acquisition of language, literacy, and knowledge through proven classroom teaching techniques.
- Supporting Newcomers’ socioemotional well-being through classroom and administrative structures.
- Designing, implementing, and sustaining professional development for all staff.
If you already have a plan for integrating Newcomers and ELs, you can use the information in this book to assess and strengthen it and to learn more about resources for continued coaching and growth. Whether your school has a formal plan or not, the information in this practical guide can help your staff better collaborate to attend to the needs and build on the strengths of Newcomers and ELs in your school.
|Publish date||2019-11-20 00:00:00|