English learners are enormously challenged, for they must learn English while learning in English, and must do so while meeting ever-increasing expectations for achievement. How can principals rally their schools to address these issues? The School Leader’s Guide to English Learners explores this problem through five big ideas: (1) understanding proficiency levels, (2) using instruction that emphasises talk, (3) creating assessments that highlight strengths rather than simply catalogue defects, (4) offering intense interventions, and (5) shaping programs that have the buy-in of all stakeholders – educators, families and students.
This book contains:
- Strategies for setting reasonable goals for your English learners
- Research-based guidelines for quality instruction with real-world examples
- Response to intervention approaches
- Reproducible resources, including a multilingual home language survey and principal’s self-study guide
- A glossary of English learner terms.