Copublished with the National Council of Teachers of Mathematics, this book focuses on individuals involved in K–12 mathematics education-particularly educators and parents-who seek to improve their understanding of mathematics and help students succeed. The authors tackle popular misconceptions and misguided discourse about mathematics education and draw on peer-reviewed research about instruction that can significantly improve student learning.
- Explore reasons why expectations for mathematics teaching and learning must be raised.
- Study the history of the progression, changes, and disputes in K-12 mathematics education.
- Discover insights about mathematics education in an era of mathematics reform.
- Define mathematical literacy and what elements are part of effective mathematics instruction.
- Learn the steps that must be taken to support the teaching and learning of mathematics so all students can be college and career ready.